The Dresden Files New York City
Aspects Safe haven in the dark, The islands are a mystery.
The islands of Manhattan serve a true purpose in keeping back the tide of darkness that is attempting to take over the city. Five in total, they form a pentagram of protection for the city that most people are completely unaware of. The islands consist of:
The Statue of Liberty
With the exception of the Statue of Liberty (and everyone knows whom we got her from…just not why), and Ellis Island(which was leased in 1794) the other three islands were purchased by Dutch Governor Wouter Van Twiller in 1637. A wizard of high renown and member of The Senior Council, Wouter observed how the fey lines ran through the city and was the first to realize the importance of some type of defensive boundary for the city. Records state that Wouter had the ability to see visions of the future and was obviously terrified by something he had seen. The problem was that no records ever account for what that fear was. The rest of the Council was not sure if they believed the entirety of his fears, but having an enchantment over New York City made a lot of sense to them.
The focal point of magic is the Statue of Liberty. There are many rumors about the manifestation of that magic, but the only thing anyone is sure of is that that Lady Liberty serves as a safe haven from things in the darkness. A place where evil cannot dare cross. More information on this is available on the Statue of Liberty case file below.
Since September 11, 2001, the islands are guarded by patrols of the United States Park Police Marine Patrol Unit, among other things.
Ellis Island The island was leased in 1794, and then fortified in 1795. After a few years of confusion as to whom owned the island, it was ceded to the United States in 1808. Shortly thereafter the War Department established a twenty-gun battery, magazine, and barracks. From 1808 until 1814 it was a federal arsenal. At the end of the War of 1812, Fort Gibson was and remained a military post for nearly 80 years before it was selected to be a federal immigration station.
The federal immigration center opened on January 1, 1892, and was closed (for mortals at least) on November 12, 1954 with eight million immigrants processed there by the U.S. Bureau of Immigration. What is not commonly known is that the White Council has used Ellis Island as a starting point to try to gather information on the supernatural that entered the United States. This gave them the right to monitor the immigrants coming in and they were able to use the information to their own ends.
To this day, the White Council still uses the island for this and other purposes, and have a strong presence on the island. Little is known as to how they do so, and they are very tight lipped on the best of occasions. They are based at Fort Gibson.
Governor’s Island The island was purchased by Dutch Governor Wouter Van Twiller in 1637. The island’s current name—made official eight years after the 1776 Declaration of Independence—stems from British colonial times when the colonial assembly reserved the island for the exclusive use of New York’s royal governors.
After the beginning of the American Revolutionary War, in one night, 9 April 1776, Continental Army General Israel Putnam (on advisement from the White Council) fortified the island with earthworks and 40 cannon in anticipation of the Battle of Long Island (also known as the Battle of Brooklyn). It was the largest battle of the entire war. The harbor defenses on the island continued to be improved over the summer, and on 12 July 1776 they engaged HMS Phoenix and HMS Rose. The Americans’ cannon inflicted enough damage to make the British commanders cautious of entering the East River, which later contributed to the success of General George Washington’s retreat across it from Brooklyn into Manhattan. What is not known is that the Red Court had tried to enthrall General Washington before his retreat and he was saved at the last moment by a Wizard of the White Council. This was one of the first times the White Council became actively involved in mortal matters and it would not be the last.
After the war two fortifications were placed on Governors Island in the years preceding the War of 1812 as part of an extensive coastal defense system including Castle Clinton (or Fort Clinton see above) at the southern tip of Manhattan. The first, Fort Jay (see below left), is a square five bastioned fort started in 1794 on the site of the earlier earthworks. The second, Castle Williams (see below right), is a circular casemated work completed in 1811.
Randalls’ Island The island was purchased by Dutch Governor Wouter Van Twiller in 1637. Randall’s Island is situated in the East River in New York City, part of the borough of Manhattan. It is separated from Manhattan island on the west by the river’s main channel, from Queens on the east by the Hell Gate, and from the Bronx on the north by the Bronx Kill.
In the 19th century, Randall’s Island became home to an orphan asylum, poor house, burial ground for the poor, idiot asylum, homeopathic hospital and rest home for Civil War veterans. It was also site of the New York House of Refuge, a reform school completed in 1854 for juvenile delinquents or juveniles adjudicated as vagrants.
Roosevelt Island The island was purchased by Dutch Governor Wouter Van Twiller in 1637. Roosevelt Island, formerly known as Welfare Island (from 1921 to 1973), and before that Blackwell’s Island, is a narrow island in the East River of New York City. It lies between the island of Manhattan to its west and the borough of Queens to its east. Running from Manhattan’s East 46th to East 85th streets, it is about two miles long, with a maximum width of 800 feet (240 m), and a total area of 147 acres. The island is part of the Borough of Manhattan and New York County.
The Octagon, one of the island’s six landmarks, was restored in 2006. Originally designed by Alexander Jackson Davis in 1839 as the New York Lunatic Asylum, landmark and LEED Silver green building is now a high-end apartment community. The Octagon is used as a detention, interrogation, and storage facility.
The Statue of Liberty Dedicated on October 28, 1886, is a monument commemorating the centennial of the signing of the United States Declaration of Independence, given to the United States by the people of France to represent the friendship between the two countries established during the American Revolution. It represents a woman wearing a stola, a radiant crown and sandals, trampling a broken chain, carrying a torch in her raised right hand and a tabula ansata, where the date of the Declaration of Independence JULY IV MDCCLXXVI is inscribed, in her left arm.
Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi sculpted the statue and obtained a U.S. patent for its structure. Maurice Koechlin—chief engineer of Gustave Eiffel’s engineering company and designer of the Eiffel Tower—engineered the internal structure. The pedestal was designed by architect Richard Morris Hunt. Eugène Viollet-le-Duc was responsible for the choice of copper in the statue’s construction, and for the adoption of the repoussé technique, where a malleable metal is hammered on the reverse side.
The White Council was involved with the monument from the beginning. Wouter Van Twiller, member of the Senior Council, saw an opportunity to protect the city (and the rest of the world according to him) from something that he saw in the future. Working in secret, Wouter and twelve other wizards worked for seventy-two hours on the enchantment. As the casting of the spell came to a close, Wouter willingly gave his life force to insure its success. It was a very noble sacrifice on his part, but he died with a smile on his face.
Bartholdi had initially planned to have the statue completed and presented to the United States on July 4, 1876, but a late start and subsequent delays prevented it. It was believed that there were many attempts to sabotage the frigate that was to deliveer the monument. The statue arrived in New York Harbor on June 17, 1885, on board the French frigate Isèrecommanded by Lespinasse De Saune.
On October 28, 1886, the Statue of Liberty was unveiled by President Grover Cleveland in front of thousands of spectators.
A new torch replaced the original in 1986, which was deemed beyond repair because of the extensive 1916 modifications. The 1886 torch is now in the monument’s lobby museum. The new torch has gold plating applied to the exterior of the “flame,” which is illuminated by very large spotlights embedded in the ground surrounding the monument.
After September 11, 2001, security for the Statue of Liberty increased by a substantial amount. Both by mundane forces, and by the White Council. The threat of terrorist attacks is something that may never go away, so for the for-seeable future, they will stand ready.
Face Vladimir Norokov Vladimir lives on Randall Island. Somewhat hermit like, he doesn’t really want to be bothered by anyone and just wants to live in peace and solitude. He is a wizard of the White Court, but way past his prime and is mostly ignored by the White Council at this point. 52, bald, grey eyes. All of this is a ruse. He is actually the commander of the White Council in the Northeast region, but they do not want anyone to know that. His job is to make sure the enchantment over the city never fails. He never leaves the island.
Face Kingsley Moore Wizard of the White Council that lives at the Statue of Liberty. His purpose is to protect the herL from anything and everything. He has not been at this position long, since he took over this post when Sebastian Acton died in the Vampire War. Kingsley is a soft spoken and quiet man, but a man of high character. Born in Kenya, he dedicated his life to the growth of planet. 38, tall, black, very good shape.